Kombucha: Things to Know

Kombucha is something I go through frequent phases with. I’ll be totally in love with it for a few weeks, and then I’ll stop drinking it for a couple months, and the cycle continues. It has one of those weird I-can’t-tell-if-I-love-it-or-hate-it tastes, at least in my opinion. And I think that in-between feeling comes from the fact that the flavor I would describe kombucha having is: healthy.

No joke, this drink tastes like health to me. It’s a little sweet and a little earthy, definitely something to try if you never have before an my description has intrigued you even a little!

And some of my friends love and swear by it, and other people can’t stand it.

It’s a very polarized drink, I’d say.

A lot of people don’t really understand what it is, though, and it’s hard to pick a side on a topic that you don’t know a lot about. So if you’re curious at all about kombucha, here are the things to know about this amazing and weird beverage.

www.pexels.com

What is Kombucha?

Kombucha is essentially fermented tea. The basic ingredients for kombucha include water, sugar, yeast and bacteria. The yeast and bacteria are mixed together and added to the water, and once the sugar is added as a food source for these little organisms, it’s allowed to ferment. This fermentation process is where many of the supposed health benefits from this tea come from, and is also what gives it it’s defined flavor.

It’s said to have originated from China, although the exact origins are unknown. It traveled along the Silk Road and became popular in Europe before eventually spreading around the globe.

www.pexels.com

Where Can I Find Kombucha?

Kombucha is a popular enough beverage now that you can find it in most grocery stores, anywhere where you would find pre-made salads or smoothies tends to be where the kombucha lives. A lot of the types sold in stores come in fun flavors, my personal favorite being cranberry! If you’re looking for a good brand of kombucha thats easy to find in most grocery stores, keep you eye out for Wonder Drink Kombucha as well as GT’s Living Foods.

There’s also always the option of brewing it at home! It’s a relatively straightforward process and that way you know exactly what is going into your kombucha.

If you find that the taste of kombucha is not your favorite but you still want all those fabulous health benefits, you can find kombucha extract (Get KomBucha is a great brand for this) or raw kombucha supplements (like Garden of Life).

www.pexels.com

What Do We Know About Health-Benefits of Kombucha?

So, what do we really know about kombucha? A little. We know it can be good and it can be bad, and it all depends on how it was brewed.

Not following careful brewing processes can lead to things from containers leaching into the tea, which can lead to toxic substances in your kombucha, which is never good.

However, as long as you’re careful about brewing and buy your kombucha and ingredients from reliable sources, it’s easy to enjoy some of the good things about this zesty beverage.

For starters, your microbiome will love you for drinking kombucha. There’s a ton of probiotics and antioxidants in this drink, overall really great for keeping your whole digestive and immune systems functioning at their best.

It also produces a lot of acids which can help do things like kill bad bacteria and detox your liver, so this is a great beverage to enjoy both around cold season and after a night out!